9.03.2009

the perfect lasagna

I cannot say, of course, that I make the perfect lasagna. But I can say that I have made lasagna so many times growing up (including that infamous salty batch on my 14th birthday), and my husband and kids have not liked mine until today. I think I have finally come up with a recipe they will eat and I usually savor. It is closest to a combination of Mom's and the Barilla recipe off the lasagna noodle box, and I've adjusted it to fit an 8x8 pan, which is just right for a family of 4-5. Here it is!

Yummy Lasagna!

1 egg
5 oz ricotta cheese
1 cup shredded cheese
(we use colby-jack)
(combine all three in a bowl and mix together with a wooden spoon)

1/2 cup more cheese
6 lasagna noodles, cooked

(trim noodles to 1/3 and 2/3 lengths to fit your pan--put two 1/3-lengths together to get a 2/3-length noodle [Do I even need to say that?])

about 16 oz. spaghetti sauce
(I like to add ground beef and onion to Bertolli's Olive Oil and Garlic spaghetti sauce. Add sugar to taste and some more spices: oregano, parsley, maybe basil. Simmer together. Or just use it straight from the jar. If you take the 24 oz. spaghetti sauce and add an 8 oz. tomato sauce plus the spices, you have enough sauce for two recipes.)

Dollap some sauce on the bottom of a greased 8x8 pan and layer noodles, cheese, sauce three times (opposite of Mom's recipe). Be sure on the last layer of sauce that all the noodles are covered by sauce. Then sprinkle about 1/2 cup more shredded cheese on top.

Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes, remove foil and bake 10 minutes more. Enjoy!

I am guessing on the actual amounts of cheese; use more or less according to your liking. I think I baked mine at 350; anything close to that should do it. You can also skip the foil, bake it 30 minutes w/o the cheese on top, then add the cheese and bake it 10 more minutes if that's easier for you. This seems like a lot of instructions, but it really is easy to make, once you've cooked the noodles. If you try this recipe, please let me know what you think!

No comments: